'Gazelle'serial no 15

All general discussion and links about Preludes

'Gazelle'serial no 15

Postby Dave Seaman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:31 pm

I have finally completed tidy up of this great little craft. Bottom scrubbed, anti fouled , with new waterline. Also Windows re- seated with new rubbers, together with hull clean up and top sides makeover. Fitted winching eye to assist putting her on the trailer, when required.
She goes back into the water over the next few days, and hopefully we get some nicer weather for an opportunistic trip down the river. The Broads really are lovely on quieter out of season times. Without Kew Gardens growing on her underside, she might even slice through the water a little easier!
Hard work, but worth it in the end. When the time comes for me to up-size, 'Gazelle' will at least be passed on in much better condition than when I acquired her.
Dave Seaman

Re: 'Gazelle'serial no 15

Postby Jeremyfisher » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:40 am

That's good news Dave.

Where will you be launching and then where will you keep her?

Will look out for you although Jeremy Fisher will not be in the water until towards the end of March.

Regds

Simon
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator

Postby jerryevans » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 pm

Well, congratulations Dave on getting Gazelle ready so soon in the year. Your efforts put my puny efforts to shame. Tropical Kitt has been stripped of all loose items for the winter and fuel tanks and engines cleaned and serviced but that and bottom scrubbing is as far as it goes so far. Re launching is not before April! January is still not quite over, yet. Bags of time to get it all done surely.
Choose a sunny day Dave for your imminent launch and enjoy the rewards of your labours.
Good luck and good sailing,
Jerry
jerryevans

Postby Dave Seaman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Thankyou for your comments Jerry and Simon. Gazelle was put back onto the water yesterday, at Thorpe, Norwich! She hasn't got her rigging back on yet though, so first trip will be up the Wensum into Norwich and through Bishop Bridge under power. I plan to put rigging and sails on in March and look forward to having a proper sail then.
I keep her at Thorpe, but hope to get her onto the north Broads system at some stage through the Summer.
The next task at hand is to check whether she will ride on the trailer which I have, or indeed will she actually fit! Fun and games on the yards slipway methinks!
A nice high tide will help out for that, which I believe is due towards this w/e. Fingers crossed she will fit OK and will not be too stern heavy, which I understand is sometimes the case with the lifting keel variety of Preludes. Getting her as far forward is going to be important for Cof G.
All the best,
Dave
Dave Seaman

Postby Jeremyfisher » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:21 am

Good luck with that Dave,

Jeremy Fisher is a lift keel and is stern heavy. It helps having a double axle trailer but I have to stand on the hitch to get it on the towbar. I find that putting the mudweight right on the front helps and also possibly filling the fresh water tank helps. I would not want to try it with a single axle trailer!!

Hope to see you 'up North' during the season.

Regds

Simon
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator

Postby Dave Seaman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:19 pm

I think I may have a spot of bother then, Simon - my trailer is indeed a single axle!
Not good news for me, but it seems my versatility of movement will just be a bit more limited.
Thanks for the tip off. (Pun intended)!

Dave
Dave Seaman

Postby Jeremyfisher » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:25 am

Et us know how you get on!

Simon
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator

Postby Dave Seaman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:41 pm

Well, things have panned out fairly well up to now. My single axle trailer is rated to 900kg, so should have about 200kg 'safety margin'. Load rating of tyres is also adequate.
I made the first trial 'fitting' of Gazelle on the trailer on quite a high tide last week, so the keel housing of the lifting keel cleared itself onto the central roller gangway without having to use break back facility. There was quite a good gradient of slope on the slipway to assist with this.
Winching was therefore heavier than expected, but I am pleased to say my untested winching eye proved itself up to the task of getting Gazelle well on the trailer. Balance point was almost reached as the prow neared the trailer snub. At this point, I decided not to push my luck any further - the side support rollers needed adjustment, and the excercise had demonstrated that a pair of extra supports would be required further aft and preferably a little wider apart than the existing. Measurements duly taken and noted,Gazelle keenly returned to water, once the winch was released, and she slipped back elegantly under her own gravity.
So the present position is supports have been adjusted, extra supports fitted and the winch has been moved about a foot further forward. This in turn should allow the boat to sit slightly further forward and hopefully to give just a bit of nose weight onto the tow bar, improving overall stability and general handling characteristics whilst towing.
Theoretically, all should be set for 'final fit' when time and tide allows over the coming days/weeks!

Dave
Dave Seaman

Postby Jeremyfisher » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:28 pm

That sounds good, hope it all goes to plan.

Simon
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator

Postby jerryevans » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:43 pm

Hi again David. It sounds like its all coming together. Indeed we are all hoping to be ready for the water before long. If we get a chance as the weather improves.

Regarding details of your last post, first, your trailer nose weight. Years ago when I started towing it was much less than these days, about 30 lbs. Today, this is often between 75 and 100 kg! You might want to check this value for your tow car. You will find a recommended nose weight in your tow car's handbook. This will also help maintain stability of the outfit on the road.

Second point. I had a shock when first weighing Tropical Kitt at 1200 kg with very little gear on board, except for spars and rudder. NOT 750 KG QUOTED IN THE PRELUDE SALES LITERATURE. THAT IS A TOWING WEIGHT OF 1500 kg (including the trailer at 300 kg), which is the top limit for my car. Now I manage to carry all heavy gear in the car, The trailer and boat currently weigh 1400 kg, but with the car heavily loaded, but still less than the recommended total mass weight by some 300 kg. These figures deserve serious consideration by all of us who tow. NB I have not subtracted the trailed weight by the nose weight, if one wants to be picky. I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of our local weighbridge. A copy is carried to show interested parties, eg. the Police.

As a safety measure, in view of the above, I felt the need to change my new 325 kg capacity tyres for 500 kg, after needing to use both my spare wheels on my way home from Scotland in 2015.

A tip I read somewhere to almost double the power of your trailer winch, if you need to. Fit a stout single block on your new bow eye-bolt, securing the bare end back to the snubbing post. Half the effort.

At least I finished on a more positive note.

Jerry, in a very wet Cumbria.
jerryevans

Postby Dave Seaman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 am

Thank you for your comments Simon and Jerry.
I have read and digested what you had to say Jerry - thought provoking indeed. I think it would be time well spent to visit a weigh station, firstly to measure the weight of my car + trailer, then weight of car only. Ideally, I would like a ballpark figure for the boat only, before putting it on the trailer and then travelling to weigh station for final gross train weight.
I had allowed about 700kg for the boat,which approximates to the 680kg published figure. If you are correct with a boat weight of 1200kg, then even my short trip towing to the weigh station could be a considerable risk!
So I have to ask the question, do you know if Tropical Kitt has had any extra ballast added at some stage? If not, then I shall certainly err on the side of caution and not risk towing until I know more.
I appreciate your warning,and will let you know how I get on.

Dave
Dave Seaman

Postby jerryevans » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:43 pm

Hi Dave.
Just checked the weight cert. 1360 kg for boat + trailer. Trailer empty 300 kg, so boat weighs 1060 kg. The boat is bilge keel version with no added weight. except spars, sails and sleeping bags, not even the heavy fixed rudder or tiller. Anchors, chain, engines, spares, warps, inflatable and all other gear is in the car.

Jerry.
jerryevans

Postby Dave Seaman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Thanks for info Jerry. I've just had my car and trailer weighed, ready for when I get the boat on the trailer, then weigh again. It's looking like I may have to convert my trailer to a twin axle, which I was hoping to avoid, but hey, needs must.
Dave Seaman

Postby jerryevans » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 pm

David.
You could also consider having a suitable single axle put together as there may be constraints on the present axle in relation to the brake mechanism and suspension unit specifications.
When my first cruiser was bought, it came with an unbraked single axle trailer on leaf springs and a fixed dinghy type hitch. As the outfit was over 750 kg brakes were required.
The solution; Indespension took my instructions through a local agent and built a braked axle rated at 1350 kg and also a suitable hitch, rated at 1500 kg., to work the auto reverse brakes. After buying new wheels and tyres the spend was over. I should add that I had the springs up-rated and I was able to modify the chassis myself by welding as required.
That was not cheap but the custom trailer worked well and was legal, which it was NOT before. I and the boat were safe and legal too.
Sometimes good trailers come up for sale but great caution is needed to avoid the duds, and is is likely you will still have to modify it and buy new tyres and bearings.
Jerry
jerryevans

Return to General