Sliding hatch worn

All general discussion and links about Preludes

Sliding hatch worn

Postby Clareskea » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:07 pm

Hello,
I have found that my sliding hatch has slowly started to wear a grove into the deck. In some places this has gone through the gel coat to the fibreglass.
Has anyone else noticed this and once repaired, should I install a sacrificial strip somehow? All ideas welcome.
Thanks, Clare

Image Image Image Image
Clareskea

Re: Sliding hatch worn

Postby jerryevans » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:14 am

Hi Clare, Mine were worn but not yet through the gelcoat. After much polishing and smoothing of the rubbing surfaces more gelcoat was put on with a small pallet knife. To get an easy smooth finish, Sellotape or similar is placed on top while it sets. If one gently smooths the tape with a finger until one gets a near perfect result.
In use I now occasionally apply dry lube and take every opportunity to wash away grit which caused the damage in the first place. I was pleased and surprised to see those little wheels!
It is absolutely essential to first get the exposed fibre glass matt dry prior to applying the gelcoat. The temperature is set to rise soon to help you quite soon.

Good luck, it will be a very worthwhile job to do Clare.

Jerry, still visiting Harrogate.
jerryevans

Postby Clareskea » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Thanks Jerry,
I'll hopefully get the weather to fix it this weekend.
Clareskea

Postby jerryevans » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:59 pm

I forgot to mention that a strip of plastic, Formica or similar, would provide a new, smooth 'runway' for your hatch to slide on. A contact adhesive would fix it in place easily and securely.
Seems you will be ready for launching fairly soon.
I have yet to find a deck leak. That might take some time?
Good luck.
Jerry, (back in Cumbria).
jerryevans

Return to General