Rope

All general discussion and links about Preludes
Rob
Boat Name: Spindrift
Sail Number: 506

Rope

Post by Rob »

New to sailing so not got the terminology yet, need to replace the rope to my main sail, 1 what type of rope should I use and 2 how long is the mast on the prelude 19 thanks rob
Alistair Sim

Re: Rope

Post by Alistair Sim »

Hi, the term is mainsail halyard if that helps when searching on-line or visiting a chandlery.
The Prelude mast length is 23'6" or, 7.2 metres.
You'll need to double that length then add some more at least a metre or two to either fasten it off at the cleat on the bottom of the mast, or more still If the halyard is led back to the cockpit to a winch, cleat or jammer.
The halyard diameter, is 6mm, choose something like polyester that doesn't stretch, this will ensure the sail stays flat when in a blow rather than bowing if a halyard with more elasticity is used.
Generally the knot used in the mainsheet cringle (the metal ring at the top of the sail) is a bowline, alternatively a shackle can be used but they can open or work loose.

It is good practice to put a stopper knot in the loose (bottom) end of the halyard to prevent it disappearing up the mast sheave if someone should be too enthustiastic when dropping the sail.
When installing the new halyard firmly sew the ends of the new halyard to the old one and pull the old one completely out off the mast which should feed the fresh halyard through the mast sheaves.
Cut the thread joining the two then put in stopper knot in each end for now to prevent it disappearing in the mast.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Regards, Alistair.
Alistair Sim

Post by Alistair Sim »

Hi again, further to the above, hang on to the old halyard.
Come winter you can re-thread it through the mast by sewing to your new halyard, then separate the new halyard and store it away safely.
Tie off both ends of the old halyard at the mast base for re-threading your new halyard next spring.
This protects your working halyard from UV damage and the ravages of winter and you'll start the next season with a clean undamaged halyard thus extending its life and save you money in the long term.

Regards, Alistair.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks very much, and I like the tip for over winter, the one that's on at the moment seems to have gone stiff and not very flexible also looks between 8mm to 10mm that's the reason i asked Thanks again for your help rob
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks very much, and I like the tip for over winter, the one that's on at the moment seems to have gone stiff and not very flexible also looks between 8mm to 10mm that's the reason i asked Thanks again for your help rob