Launching

All general discussion and links about Preludes
Psmalley

Launching

Post by Psmalley »

I have just purchased a bilge keel version and am wondering if I can adapt the trailer so that I can launch on a slipway. I accept that recovery may be more difficult but I was hoping that someone might have experience of creating a launching trolley similar to that used for the Hunter Medina. This is a wheeled tray that comes off the break back trailer and then is lowered into the water, which means that the road going trailer never enters the water. Just thinking and wondering if this is something others have done?

Paul. Now owner of Frolic sail no 178 and based in North Devon
Marten

Re: Launching

Post by Marten »

Hi, I'm afraid I have no ready answer to this, but have given it quite a bit of thought. In short, I think frequent repacking wheel bearings and fresh water cleaning probably involves less work all round.
My trailer is not wide enough to allow the launching trailer to be wider than the keels. so not easy to make work. Other considerations include weight, angle of ramps when on a 1:6 slip, manoeuvreability of trolley, ability of small wheels to negotiate uneven slips, etc.

Still interested to hear your views.

Regards

Marten
Psmalley

Re: spray hoods

Post by Psmalley »

Can any one tell me if There is a good place to get a spray hood for my Prelude? Or even better, perhaps someone has one for sale? Not really sure why anyone would have one, but worth asking.

Thanks

Paul
Haris
Site Admin
Boat Name: Faith
Sail Number: 220

Post by Haris »

Hi Paul
I've got one which I have never used but unfortunately it's in Greece with my boat. I'm not planning to drive there until summer 2016. So if you haven't found one until then and you still want it, I'll be happy to bring it for you.
I know that this is ages from now, but I thought I'll say it.
Best regards
Haris
ericjackson

Post by ericjackson »

Haris, do you have any pics of the spray hood? As I always thought the space between the boom and the garage would have precluded the use of one on a prelude would love to be shown otherwise (still a lot to learn about Preludes)