Summer sailing from Linnhe Marina in June anybody?

All general discussion and links about Preludes
jerryevans
Boat Name: TROPICAL KITT
Sail Number: 40

Summer sailing from Linnhe Marina in June anybody?

Post by jerryevans »

Tropical Kitt's skipper has decided to take her for a cruise again this June. He is hoping to interest other skippers, ideally with some sea experience, to join him for some more adventures launching at Linnhe Marina.
This trip will require both boat and skipper to be well prepared and equipped for coastal sailing. It is only three months to launch day. That isn't much time is it?

Please contact Jerry for further details, should you be tempted. I hope you will be.

Jerry, in Cumbria. Tel. 016973 61322 Mob. 07979 375 124 Email jerryandles@btinternet.com
jerryevans

Re: Summer sailing from Linnhe Marina in June anybody?

Post by jerryevans »

Ladies and Gentlemen,the invitation is still open. Who will bring their Prelude and join me? Only two months to launch day at Linnhe Marina.

TROPICAL KITT is starting to be get ready for her forth annual June holiday in The Hebrides. Last year we visited twelve islands, six of them new to me. We stayed overnight at twenty anchorages, twelve of those new, and sailed 223 nm. That is less than 10 nm a day, not exactly breathtaking but great fun and a small challenge too, all on a shoestring OAP. budget.

Where shall we go this time? The wind will have the casting vote, my suggestion for consideration might be to try sailing round Skye or at least revisit The Small Isles, Coll or west coast of Mull, still not seen it all, or Tiree either----yet.

What do you think?

Please ring 016973 61322 or email for more details.

Jerry in Cumbria
jerryevans

Post by jerryevans »

Wot still only little interest?

Come on guys and gals, only ten days to go. Loch Linnhe awaits with all its moods and excitement.

Do please get in touch for more information.

I am still hoping for another boat of two for company and to share the trip, or some of it.

'This is Captain Bligh singing off!'

Jerry in Cumbria. tel. 016973 61322, mob 07979 375 124
Haris
Site Admin
Boat Name: Faith
Sail Number: 220

Post by Haris »

O Jerry
Did no one take up your invitation?
I wish I lived a little closer, I would have loved to sail on the west coast of Scotland.
How was your trip this year?
Haris
jerryevans

Post by jerryevans »

Well I landed safely back from Bonnie (damp) Scotland after a good cruise. It was my fourth, launching, at Linnhe Marina on 2nd June. Tropical Kitt reached Plockton, in stages, by the 14 th. Very interesting pilotage, particularly timing the tidal gates for Kyle Rhea and Kyle Akin with up to 8 knots at the former if you get it really wrong! The Pilot book tells us the latter has challenges of its own. Under the Skye Bridge with only 1.5 cables width and commercial traffic, the skipper has to deal with tidal streams which vary widely between springs and neaps and are affected by barometric pressure, wind direction, rain and would you believe it, melting snow. (The 29 metre aerial draught is quite sufficient for us!)
The weather determines how far we can go and what we can do, but there were 241 nm more on the log by the time I had to trail the boat home to Cumbria at the end of the month. Twenty miles more than last year. There was little motoring this year and some longer passages totally under sail. There were however several occasions where high winds or fog delayed a departure. I met the Antares Charts guy, who anchored near me in his capable motor launch Ottter. He told me it was the worst weather he had for seven years of summer surveying the Scottish west coast.
My own overnight anchorages in order were, near Linnhe Marina, Port Ramsay (on Lismore), Aros Bay (Tobermory) on Mull, Eigg, Rhum, Isleornsay (on Skye), Totaig (opposite Eilean Donnan Castle), Port-an-eorna, Plockton, Isleornsay again, Armadale Bay (Skye), Eigg again, Sanna Bay (Ardnamurchan), Tobermory, Salen (on Mull), An Salen (on Lismore) and again Linnhe Marina. Seven of these anchorages were new to me. If you have Imray Charts C65 & C66 you might follow my route, or just google it. Pity there were no takers to share the adventure this year.

I will try to post a new album soon.

What about next year? Please contact me if you have a proposal. (No plans for next year yet but any and all suggestions welcome.)

Jerry in Cumbria.
Haris
Site Admin
Boat Name: Faith
Sail Number: 220

Post by Haris »

Jerry
Quite an adventure! I take off my hat to you. Well done.
Happy with the performance of your Prelude in these difficult conditions?
Best regards
Haris
jerryevans

Post by jerryevans »

Well Haris, I am very satisfied with my Prelude, she does handle well in all the conditions I have encountered.

After sailing her for the first year I was not happy with the balance and continued to experiment with mast rake and sail trim. Together with the acquisition of my furler and this dissatisfaction, the new sail was ordered at 140% fore triangle area. Even this does not entirely cure the weather helm. I am still not doing the right things, yet. I allow the boom to fall off to leeward more than I used to, also without positive result. I will keep trying. Perhaps I am expecting a performance more like that of the dinghies I used to race years ago?

I find my boat exceptionally dry on deck. Even when meeting the Caladonian MacBrayne ferries at close quarters, very little spray would reach the cockpit. Partly because I feel I need to carry such a long all chain rode, all 68 m of it, the bow will not rise quite so quickly as would a more lightly laden boat. When meeting a large wake head on, she still lifts having a buoyant spoon bow. It rarely ships any water over the foredeck.

This year on two occasions I have reefed too soon, finding the boat under-powered with the reduced area. Perhaps I am overcautious? Better that than overconfident I think. She is a very forgiving boat, although the rudder lacks the authority I am used to and desire.

I have not yet built the lifting rudder that would satisfy my needs. It was high on my to do list for this year and I sourced a special cleat for the downhaul which would enable the line to be automatically released on contact with 'an immovable object'. The original lifting rudder stock was found to be weak and liable to fracture. I had built up the leading edge of the blade by 25 mm to get a better balance and used another old stock after some modification, but discovered that it had suffered a partial fracture last year. I have always relied on a sturdy fixed rudder on seagoing boats but on the Prelude I fear catastrophic failure of the transome if I was stupid enough to hit something solid which would tear out the lower gudgeon, letting the sea in rather rapidly.

How do you find Faith in your warmer sailing waters? Do you have any tips?

Jerry in Cumbria