Im in trouble - keel bolts!

All general discussion and links about Preludes
Paddytwo
Boat Name: Tiny Dancer
Sail Number: 6

Im in trouble - keel bolts!

Post by Paddytwo »

Dear All

Sorry for being a pest but I went to work on the boat last night and found that water that had gotten into the cabin ( I had taken the door off for sanding and painting) was seeping through the top of the keel (fin keel) and out of the boat along a tiny crack running along the starboard side but mostly around the aft section of where the keel attaches to the boat. The keel bolts look new from in the cabin but with that kind of seepage I had better check. If it can seep out - it can seep in! It may just be loose keel bolts

How do I do it?

I was thinking of just grinding out the resin around the seepage and try and find the bolt heads? Take them out and cover them in silicone and re insert them. Is that what I should do? Has anyone done it before? Does anyone have pictures of what the keel looks like under all that resin before I get the angle grinder out?

Kind regards and thanks to you all for your help.

Kieran
Paddytwo

Re: Im in trouble - keel bolts!

Post by Paddytwo »

Just as a follow up and in case anyone else has similar problems.

I ground / sanded the filler and paint back to the steel plate that makes up the keel section and found the keel bolts. They were in perfect condition as were the bolts on the inside of the boat. The filler used around the keel plate was anything but, so I ground out a channel around the plate. As I did so some of the filler fell off in my hands - especially at the bow end of the keel. I ground out all the filler, tightened up the keel bolts and refilled but using an epoxy mixture this time and I filled the channel I had ground out and also covered the entire plate to a few mm of thickness. I'm hoping that this will cure any leaks into the bilge up the bolts.

I have put up a pic of the keel after I ground out the old filler and will pop up a pic of the finished job before I paint in case any of you need to see what it looks like!

She is going into the water on Friday so Ill know how successful the repair was then!!

Kind regards to you all

Kieran
Haris
Site Admin
Boat Name: Faith
Sail Number: 220

Post by Haris »

Glad to know you fixed it. Did everything go well on Friday?
Paddytwo

Post by Paddytwo »

When the boat was lifted off the trailer into the slings I heard a crack. A hairline crack appeared at the aft section of the repair I did. We decided to put her in the water anyway and when she went in a little dampness occurred inside at the front end of the last leakage.

Since then nothing - no further leaks!

We raced her last week. First over the start line and first around the first mark as the bigger (32 foot+) boats rushed up our transom! We rounded the mark - picked the wrong side of the course where the tides were strongest and winds weakest and ended up last!!!

Next weekend will tell a little more as last weekend we ended up putting the spinnaker up sideways!!! ( it now has three very clear labels - head, port clew, starb clew!!!)

Do we ever stop learning when we sail???!!!

KInd regards

Kieran