Summer Cruise 2016

All general discussion and links about Preludes
jerryevans
Boat Name: TROPICAL KITT
Sail Number: 40

Summer Cruise 2016

Post by jerryevans »

Anyone for Scotland in June? (again).

Another cruise invitation. I am preparing TROPICAL KITT for the west coast. I have the charts, I know the anchorages in the area, I have the boat, now all that is needed is some pleasant company to share it with me.

This wonderful, varied coastal sailing area is said to be one of the best. The scenery and wildlife both ashore and afloat is amazing. Give yourself a chance to extend your sea experience and your cruising area in company, together with building self confidence for your own adventures in future. (This is the way I first sailed in Scotland. Now it is payback time.)

For more info. see my earlier posts. I have now had four successful trips in recent years.

I do hope you will consider bringing your boat, you will be most welcome. If your journey from the south is long, stop off overnight here on the way. Launching is just 230 miles away.

The sailing itinerary will be weather dependent and decided by a consensus of the participating skippers at the time. Experience will be taken into account. Equipment requirements can be discussed beforehand. There are no hard and fast rules, but you will be responsible for both yourselves and your boats.

Jerry in Cumbria.
jerryevans

Re: Summer Cruise 2016

Post by jerryevans »

Hi there.
I now have positive interest in this summer's trip from another skipper, not Prelude but Drascombe Cruiser.

Also possibly a Bradwell 18, sailing up in stages from Workington. It will depend on his progress and weather conditions. He hopes to be there in time!

Any other interest?

Jerry, Tropical Kitt.
Clareskea

Post by Clareskea »

Hello, I have reasently bought a Prelude and I'm keeping her at Helensburgh. I probably won't be able to get long off work but it would be good to join you for a few days. When in June are you thinking of going? And where Is your planned starting point? I'll see if I can get holidays booked.

Clare
jerryevans

Post by jerryevans »

Welcome Clare and well done choosing a Prelude. I hope you have a long and happy life together.

I should love to have another boat for company. I plan arrive at Linnhe Marina, Shuna by Appin on 29 th May. This year I have interest also from anther two skippers who hope to join me . This will depend as well on their arrival times. With some luck we can all meet up and have some time together. We might get to Tobermory or wherever the skippers agree. Where would you like to go Clare?

If you are good at anchoring now, you will be perfect by the time you return! I rest at anchor every night and always like to find new ones to try. In 2013 a couple, who usually only sailed on the Broads and used mud weights, sailed in company with me. They too were experts by the time we returned from Tobermory eleven days later!

You may want to find out more about equipment or anything else so please ask.

Jerry in Cumbria.

PS Clare I have sent a private message if you would like to check.
jerryevans

Post by jerryevans »

Plans are now being executed in preparation for my Scottish trip. There already seems too little time to get it all done by the end of May.

I am disappointed that Clare will be unable to join in the fun this year as my launching point is way too far from her mooring, but says that things may be different next year. I do hope so,

Still hoping for additional interest, contact details as before.

Jerry
jerryevans

Post by jerryevans »

Well, I have bought two more 500 kg capacity trailer tyres, another two more for the spare wheels to get very soon.

Three coats of varnish has been lovingly applied to the teak and snow flurries and sleet permitting, the other three coats should be finished as soon as possible, time is now pressing.

One of the 20 watt solar panels has given up, the other newer one is OK. On investigation the seawater has penetrated the junction block on the panel. One wire has corroded away together with the panel connector. There was a void the silicone did not fill when it was manufactured. I bought it about four years ago.
When I discovered this fault I did a similar check on a 26 year old 18 watt panel which had also stopped working, you have guessed it, same problem, different maker. That one is easier to repair after cleaning up new contacts to solder to. Now tested, not much sun visible, I need to source tinned copper wire. I have seen some on the net. Pity it seems so hard to find. As a youngster, when we built crystal sets, then transistor sets, all copper wire was tinned it seemed. The new diodes were found at out local television repairer, from old stock.

Another June Cruise attendee has contacted me from the Dinghy Cruising Association. He will be bringing his Falmouth Bass boat together with crew. They will be able to join me only at the end of June, for a few days. Patrick's crew David is retired but not Patrick.

Only a few weeks to go now. You know what to do.

Jerry, Tropical Kitt.
Haris
Site Admin
Boat Name: Faith
Sail Number: 220

Post by Haris »

Jerry
Tell us all about it. How did you get on?